Qualifications: MS (EE), GIK Institute, Pakistan (2020), BS(EE), FAST-NUCES Islamabad Campus, Pakistan (2017)
Research Interests: Power Electronics, Renewable Energy, Model Predictive Control, DC Microgrid, Fast Chargers for Electric Vehicle & Machine Learning Algorithms for Optimization
1) Power Electronics
2) Sensorless Current Control of Power Converters
3) PV System Modeling & Simulations
4) Model Predictive Control of Power Converters
1) EE 211 | Linear Circuit Analysis
2) EE 121 | Digital Logic Design
3) EE 212 | Electrical Network Analysis
4) EE 314 | Electrical Instrumentation and Measurements
5) EE 313L | Electric Machines Lab
6) EE 434 | Power Electronics
7) EE 201 | Applied Electrical Engineering
1) Afaq Hussain, Hadeed Ahmed Sher, Ali Faisal Murtaza, Kamal Al-Haddad “A Novel Sensor-Less Current Technique for Photovoltaic System Using DC Transformer Model based Model Predictive Control” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems , Vol 122, Novemeber 2020 IF: 4.418
2) Afaq Hussain, Hadeed Ahmed Sher, Ali Faisal Murtaza, Kamal Al-Haddad “Improved Restricted Control Set Model Predictive Control (iRCS-MPC) based Maximum Power Point Tracking Of Photovoltaic Module” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 149422-149432, 2019, IF: 4.098
3) Afaq Hussain, Hadeed Ahmed Sher, Ali Faisal Murtaza, Ali Reza Javedi, Kamal Al-Haddad “Transformer-less Three Phase Variable Output Voltage DC-AC Standalone Power Converter Using Modified Restrictive Control Set Model Predictive Control” in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics IF: 5.972
4) Ahsan Nadeem, Afaq Hussain, “A comprehensive review of global maximum power point tracking algorithms for photovoltaic systems” in Energy Systems IF: 2.06
1) Afaq Hussain, Hadeed A. sher, Ali F Murtaza, and Kamal Al-Haddad “Revised Perturb and Observe Approach for Maximum Power Point Tracking of Photovoltaic Module Using Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control” The 28th IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE 2019, Vancouver, BC, Canada June 12-14, 2019
2) Afaq Hussain, Hadeed A. sher, Ali F Murtaza, and Kamal Al-Haddad “Improved Voltage Controlled Three Phase Voltage Source Inverter Using Model Predictive Control for Standalone System” The 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2018, Washington DC, USA October.21-23 2018
1) Awarded with the graduate gold medal in engineering programs in MS(EE) (2020).
2) Highest Distinction in MS (EE) (2020).
3) Distinction in BS(EE) (2017).
4) 9 times remained in the Dean’s list of Honour.
1) Member of the outcome-based education (OBE) committee in Faculty of Electrical Engineering (FEE).
2) Member of the compilation committee of annual report of the GIK institute.
3) Academic Advisor of Batch-31 (Power Stream): Counseling and guiding the students for selecting appropriate course work and maintain their academic performance based on workload.
4) Member of the budget compilation committee to prepare the budget of FEE for the fiscal year 2022-2023.
5) Member of the FEE webpage management committee on GIKI website.
6) Member of the final year project (FYP) evaluation committee.
7) Member of the FEE faculty training program committee.
8) Member of the institute classroom address system committee.
9) Member of the photonics stream launching committee.
10) Member of the FEE outreach committee.
11) Member of the Institute clean & green energy management committee.
12) Member of the FEE revised curriculum committee for power stream .
1) Portable, Solar Powered, Compressor-less Referigirator with a Battery Backup for Effective Transportation of Vaccines in Rural Areas
One of the three final year projects from FEE that are shortlisted for funding approved by National Grassroots ICT research Initiative (NGIRI), IGNITE, 2021
2) Solar Powered Automated Grass Cutter Machine with Lawn Coverage
This project received first place among all final year projects of the electrical department in the open house 2022
3) Power Factor Correction (PFC) based Induction Motor Drive for Industrial Application
4) Solar Powered Automated Sewing Machine
5) Automated Defibrillator (A&D)
This project received third place among all final year projects of the electrical department in the open house 2022
6) Autonomous Robot for Self Cleaning & Maintenance of Solar Panels (Industrially Co-supervised & Sponsored Project)
One of the six final year projects from FEE that are shortlisted for funding approved by National Grassroots ICT research Initiative (NGIRI), IGNITE, 2023
7) Distributed Voltage Regulation using Volt-VAR Controls of a Smart Inverter in Net-metering Based PV System
8) IoT & Machine Learning Based Parameter Monitoring Using Predictive Analysis of 3-Phase Induction Motor for Industrial Applications (Industrially Co-supervised & Sponsored Project)
9) Portable Solar Station with Advance Battery Management System