Dr. Ramzan Abdul Karim did his bachelor and master degrees in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Lahore. Then he went to Technical University of Turin, Italy for the doctoral degree. His research interests are in the fields of composite materials especially the metal matrix composites. During his PhD research work, he has worked on two projects both of which are part of his PhD thesis as well. One project (from AeroAvio, Italy) was focused on the development of SiC fibers reinforced nickel matrix composite coatings deposited on Inconel-718 for the improvement of its stiffness and strength at high temperatures. The second project was to produce and characterize carbon nanomaterials (nanotubes, graphene and graphene oxide) reinforced nickel matrix composite coatings for friction and wear resistance applications. He also has expertise in the electrodeposition as he used electrochemical deposition method for the synthesis of the above mentioned composites. His research interests are in the area of composite materials for various applications, evaluation of corrosion behavior of materials and, corrosion prevention strategies.
- MU Iqbal, A Hussain, M Shahid, MRA Karim and M Akhtar. Processing of Bioceramics by Pressing and Tape Casting in “Advanced Bioceramics: Properties, Processing, and Applications” edited by M E Hoque, KL Goh, S Sagadevan. CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group), 2023.
- D Tahir, MRA Karim, et al. Analysis of mechanical and water absorption properties of hybrid composites reinforced with micron-size bamboo fibers and ceramic particles. International Polymer Processing (2023).
- W Khalid, MRA Karim* and MA Marwat. Revolutionizing Energy Storage: Exploring Processing Approaches and Electrochemical Performance of Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs) and their hybrids. Journal of Electrochemical Science and Technology (2023).
- T Abid, MA Akram, TB Yaqub, MRA Karim, et al. Design and development of porous CoCrFeNiMn high entropy alloy (Cantor alloy) with outstanding electrochemical properties. Journal of Alloys and Compounds (2023). 50 days free access via the link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1i0Kt3IWkcAg61
- Z Abbas, MRA Karim*, W Shehzad, et al. Exploring the Electrochemical Utilization of PANI/CNT-Integrated Ni-Mn Phosphates for Advanced Supercapacitor Applications. Electrochimica Acta (2023). 50 days free access via the link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1i0Sm33-eVOqq
- A Siddique, T Abid, MA Akram, TB Yaqub, MRA Karim, et al. Design and development of NbTiVZr porous high entropy alloys for energy applications. Journal of Energy Storage (2023). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2023.109131
50 days free access via the link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1htn3_,5MI7~pv1
- W Khalid and MRA Karim*. Ultrasounds-assisted solvothermal synthesis of Ni-Co-Mn MOFs/PANI-CNTs nanocomposites with enhanced electrochemical energy storage performance. Energy and Environment (2023).
- MRA Karim* and W Shehzad. Transition metal compounds and their hybrids with carbonaceous materials for electrochemical energy storage applications. Journal of Energy Storage (2023).
50 days free access via the link https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1hPHd,rUrFq4sP
- W Shehzad and MRA Karim*. Improved energy storage performance of sonochemically synthesized Ni-Co-Zn ternary metal phosphate composites by incorporating PANI functionalized CNTs. Diamond and Related Materials (2023). 50 days free access via the link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1hDFp3IYYktHLk
- W Shehzad and MRA Karim*. Synthesis and electrochemical energy storage performance evaluation of PANI functionalized CNTs/ Ni-Zn (PO4)2 nanocomposites. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing (2023). Free to read online version available at: https://rdcu.be/deJjE
- S Manzoor, M Tahir, MRA Karim, et al. Effect of post-weld heat treatment on microstructure, mechanical properties, residual stresses and electrochemical behavior of AISI 4140 TIG weldments. Surface Review and Letters (2023).
- MF Khan, MA Marwat, Abdullah, SS Shah, MRA Karim, et. al. Novel MoS2-sputtered NiCoMg MOFs for high-performance hybrid supercapacitor applications. Separation and Purification Technology (2023).
- S Ali, MA Marwat, MF Khan, K M Adam, Z U Din, MRA Karim, and S Khan. Ti3SiC2-coupled NiCoMn LDH nanocomposites as positive electrode for high performance supercapacitors. Journal of Alloys and Compounds (2023).
- I Riaz, O A Qamar, F Jamil, M Hussain, A Inayat, L R Meneses, P Akhter, S Musaddiq, MRA Karim, and Y K Park. Comparative study of enhanced catalytic properties of clay-derived SiO2 catalysts for biodiesel production from waste chicken fat. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering (2023).
- D Tahir, MRA Karim, et al. Sources, chemical functionalization, and commercial applications of nanocellulose and nanocellulose based composites: A review. Polymers (2022).
- MRA Karim*, A Khan, A Zaman and A Hussain. Hexagonal boron nitride-based composites: An overview of processing approaches and mechanical properties. Journal of the Korean Ceramic Society (2022).
- KI Khan, M Khan, A Hussain, MRA Karim*, et al. A low cost novel talc based opaque glaze for ceramic floor tiles. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (2022).
- W Shehzad, MRA Karim*, et al. Sono-chemcial assisted synthesis of carbon nanotubes-nickel phosphate nanocomposites with excellent energy density and cyclic stability for supercapattery applications. Journal of Energy Storage (2022).
- W Shehzad, EU Haq, MRA Karim*, et al. Synthesis of Nano Ceramic Epoxy Hybrid Composite Coating on Metallic Substrate for Corrosion Protection. Solid State Phenomena (2022).
- SW Hussain, MA Mehmood, MRA Karim, et al. Microstructural evolution and mechanical characterization of a WC- reinforced CoCrFeNi HEA matrix composite. Scientific Reports (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-13649-5
- MRA Karim*, SA Raza et al. Electrodeposition of nickel-graphene nano platelets (GNPs) composite coatings and evaluation of their morphological, electrochemical, and thermo-mechanical properties. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing (2022).
- R Ali, M Hanif, SAB Shah, SZ Abbas, MRA Karim, et al. Effect of chromium‑doping onstructure and opto‑electronics properties of nanostructured indium tin oxide thin films. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing (2022).
- MRA Karim*, D Tahir, et al. Improved mechanical and water absorption properties of epoxy-bamboo long natural fibres composites by eco-friendly Na2CO3 treatment. Plastics, Rubber and Composites: Macromolecular Engineering (2022).
- MH Asdi, MUA Khan, J Hussain, M Arshad, MRA Karim et al., Effect of Phosphorous Ion Implantation on the Surface, Crystal Structure , Mechanical and Electrochemical Properties of Bioresorbable Magnesium for Biomedical Applications. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (2022).
- MRA Karim*, M. Noman et al. Solvothermal synthesis of flower-flakes like nano composites of Ni-Co metal organic frameworks and graphene nanoplatelets for energy storage applications. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology (2022).
- M Atif, M Naeem, MRA Karim, et al. Surface modification and characterization of waste derived carbon particles to reinforce photo-cured shape memory composites, RSC Advances (2022), Vol. 12(9): pp. 5085-5093.
- H Alrobei, A Maqbool, M A Hussain, R A Malik, MRA Karim et al. Single-Step Fabrication and Characterization of Nanoscale Cu Thinfilms for Optoelectronic Applications. Crystals (2022). https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst12010062
- EU Haq, MRA Karim*, et al. Study of structural and electrical properties of Zn-doped barium titanate ceramics synthesized by conventional solid-state method. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, No. 1-2 (2022).
- M Nadeem, S Ilyas, EU Haq, F Ahmed, MZU Abdein, MRA Karim & SFA Zaidi. Improved Water Retention and Positive Behavior of Silica Based Geopolymer Utilizing Granite Powder. Silicon (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-021-01047-x
- SA Raza, MRA Karim*, al. Effect of pH and concentration on electrochemical corrosion behavior of aluminum Al-7075 T6 alloy in NaCl aqueous environment. Journal of Electrochemical Science and Technology (2022).
- MA Marwat, M Humayun, MW Afridi, H Zhang, MRA Karim, et. al. Advanced Catalysts for Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting. ACS Applied Energy Materials (2021).
- SA Raza, MI Khan, MRA Karim, et. al. Effect of zirconium oxide reinforcement on microstructural, electrochemical and mechanical properties of TiNi alloy produced via powder metallurgy route. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology (2021).
- A Iltaf, MRA Karim, AA Taimor, et. al. Effect of beam oscillation patterns on the electrochemical corrosion behavior of electron beam welded Ti-5Al-2.5Sn alloy in simulated marine environment. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (2021).
- MRA Karim*, SA Raza, et al. Electrochemical and thermo mechanical behaviour of nickel-graphene oxide (2-4L GO) nano-composite coatings. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing (2021).
- IU Haq, MI Khan, MRA Karim, et. al. Effect of various thermal treatments and Cu contents on precipitation mechanism, martensitic growth and cold-workability of Ti50Ni50-xCux ternary shape memory alloys. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (2021).
- MRA Karim*, S. Daniel, et al. Improving the Corrosion Resistance of API X56 and API X70 Pipeline Steels by Hot Dip Aluminization. Key Engineering Materials (2021).
- MU Iqbal, N Zaman, M Shahid, A Hussain, MRA Karim. Surface Modification of Sputtered Carbon Supercapacitor Electrode by Hydrogen Annealing. Key Engineering Materials (2021).
- H Tariq, JJ Abraham, RA Shakoor, S Alqaradawi, MRA Karim et. al. Synthesis of lithium manganese oxide nanocomposites using microwave-assisted chemical precipitation technique and their performance evaluation in lithium-ion batteries. Energy Storage (2020).
- M Akbar, R Ullah and MRA Karim. Interpreting Surface Degradation of HTV-Silicone-Rubber Filled with micro/nano Silica under AC and DC Voltages, Journal of Electronic Materials (2020).
- MRA Karim*, et al. Experimental evaluation of sustainable geo-polymer mortars developed from loam natural soil, Asian Journal of Architechture and Building Engineering (2020).
- M Atif, MQ Fareed, SA Ahmad, MRA Karim, et al. Electrochemical evaluation of human hair derived carbon particles, ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology (2020).
- N Zaman, RA Malik, H Alrobei, J Kim, M Latif, A Hussain, A Maqbool, RA Karim, et al. Structural and Electrochemical Analysis of Decarburized Graphene Electrodes for Supercapacitor Applications, Crystals (2020). https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst10111043
- MRA Karim*, D Tahir, et al. Sodium carbonate treatment of fibres to improve mechanical and water absorption characteristics of short bamboo natural fibres reinforced polyester composite. Plastics, Rubber and Composites: Macromolecular Engineering (2020).
Number limited free eprints available at: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/D6YSMAHHYYGYRHN7C9FV/full?target=10.1080/14658011.2020.1768336
- M Atif, MRA Karim, et al. Facile Oxidation Approach to Amend Surface Chemistry of Carbon Particles for Augmented Dispersion in Epoxy Matrix, Russian Journal of Applied Chemistry (2020), Vol. 93, No. 2, pp. 305−312. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070427220020214
- MRA Karim*, D Tahir, et al. Natural fibres as promising environmental-friendly reinforcements for polymer composites, Polymers and Polymer Composites (2020).
- U Aziz, MF Aslam, H Ali, EU Haq, MRA Kareem et. Al. Optimization of thermal properties of ceramic coatings using fumed silica as raw material. Materials Today: Proceedings (2020).
- MZ Iqbal, S Alam, AM Afzal, MJ Iqbal, MA Kamran, K Yaqoob, MRA Karim, T Alherbi. Binary composites of strontium oxide/polyaniline for high performance asymmetric supercapacitors, Solid State Ionics (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2020.115276
- MZ Iqbal, MM Faisal, SR Ali, AM Afzal, MRA Karim, et al. Strontium phosphide-polyaniline composites for high performance supercapattery devices, Ceramics International (2020).
- M Atif, MRA Karim, et al. Photochemical Thiolation of Carbon Particles with Mercaptoproyltrimethoxysilane, Composite Interfaces (2019). https://doi.org/10.1080/09276440.2019.1679560
- MZ Iqbal, SS Haider, S Siddique, MRA Karim, et al. Capacitive and diffusion-controlled mechanism of strontium oxide based symmetric and asymmetric devices, Journal of Energy Storage (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2019.101056
- MZ Iqbal, S Khan, A Rehman, SS Haider, MA Kamran, MRA Karim, et al. Enhancement in the mobility of solution processable polymer based FET by incorporating graphene interlayer, Superlattices and Microstructures (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spmi.2019.106331
- MRA Karim*, MB Ahmed, et al. Investigation of Various Nanostructural Morphologies of Zinc Oxide (ZnO) for their Applications in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs), Key Engineering Materials (2018), Vol. 778, p. 91-99. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.778.91
- RB Naqvi, YF Joya, MRA Karim*, Next-Generation Biomaterials for Bone-Tissue Regeneration: Mg-Alloys on the Move, Key Engineering Materials (2018), Vol. 778, p. 306-315.
- Ambrosio, E.P., Karim, M.R.A.*, Pavese, M. et al. Feasibility of electrochemical deposition of nickel/silicon carbide fibres composites over nickel superalloys, Metall and Mat Trans A (2017), Vol. 48A, p. 2504-2510. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11661-017-4007-z
- EU Haq, SFA Zaidi, M Zubair, MRA Karim, et al. Hydrophobic silica aerogel glass-fibre composite with higher strength and thermal insulation based on methyltrimethoxysilane (MTMS) precursor, Energy and Buildings (2017), Vol. 151, p. 494-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.07.003
- Ali, M., Haq, E.U., Ibrahim, A., Karim, M.R.A., et al. Increase in Ductility of High Carbon Steel due to Accelerated Precipitation of Cementite, Metal Science and Heat Treatment (2017), Vol. 59, p. 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11041-017-0145-6
- E U Haq, S K Padmanabhan, M R A Karim, A Licciulli, “Setting and curing of mortars obtained by alkali activation and inorganic polymerization from sodium silicate and silica aggregate”, Construction and Building Materials (2016), Vol. 105, p. 291-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.12.064
- Ali, M., Haq, E.U., Karim, M.R.A., Ahmed, S., et al. Effect of leaching with 5 – 6 N H2SO4 on thermal kinetics of rice husk during pure silica recovery, Journal of Advanced Research (2016), Vol. 7, p 47-51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2015.01.007
- M R A Karim*, M Pavese, E P Ambrosio, et al. Production and characterization of Ni and Cu composite coatings reinforced with carbon nanotubes or graphite nano platelets. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 439, 012019- – ISSN 1742-6568 (2013). doi:10.1088/1742-6596/439/1/012019
- Khalid Mahmood Ghauri, Liaqat Ali, Akhlaq Ahmad, Rafiq Ahmad, Kashif Meraj Din, Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhary, Ramzan Abdul Karim. Synthesis and Characterization of Al/SiC Composite Made by Stir Casting Method. Pak. J. Engg. & Appl. Sci. (ISSN: 1995-1302), Vol. 12, Jan., (2013) p. 102-110. http://www.uet.edu.pk/research/researchinfo/12-RJ-JAN-2013/11-94.pdf
- Gul Hameed Awan, Liaqat Ali, Khalid Mahmood Ghauri, Engnr. Ramzan* and Engnr. Ehsan. Effect of various forms of Glass Fibre Reinforcements on Tensile Properties of Polyester Matrix Composites. Journal of Faculty of Engineering and Technology (JFET), ISSN No. 1992 3082 Vol. 16, No. 1 (2009) p. 33-39. http://pu.edu.pk/images/journal/jfet/Current-issue/JFET_04_2009%20EFFECT%20OF%20VARIOUS%20FORMS%20OF.pdf
Workshops, Conferences, Invited Talks
- W Shehzad, W Khalid, DH Jokhio, AR Qureshi, AA Dojki and MRA Karim. Synthesis and Evaluation of Pristine Co and Hybrid Ni-Co Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs) as Potential Electrodes for Electrochemical Energy Storage Applications. 1st International Conference on Modern Technologies in Mechanical & Material Engineering (MTME-2023). Digital Manufacturing Technology (DMT) 3 (2), 250-256 (2023). https://doi.org/10.37256/dmt.3220233094
- ZU Din, MA Marwat, A Ijaz and MRA Karim. Enhanced Thermal Stability of Polymers by Incorporating Novel Surface-Decorated SrTiO3@Graphene Nanoplatelets. 1st International Conference on Modern Technologies in Mechanical & Material Engineering (MTME-2023). Digital Manufacturing Technology (DMT) 3 (2), 181-189 (2023). https://doi.org/10.37256/dmt.3220233096
- AU Zaman, A Khan, M Waqas, TB Junaid, W Siddiqui, A Ahmad and MRA Karim*. Tape Casting and Characterization of h-BN/PU composite Coatings for Corrosion Resistance Applications. 1st International Conference on Modern Technologies in Mechanical & Material Engineering (MTME-2023). Digital Manufacturing Technology (DMT) 3 (2), 156-163 (2023). https://doi.org/10.37256/dmt.3220233092
- S Ahmad, AU Zaman, M Junaind, T Shehbaz, MA Khan, FN Khan and MRA Karim. Effect of Mass and Temperature Rate on the Thermal Properties of High-Density Polyethylene Using Differential Scanning Calorimetry. 1st International Conference on Modern Technologies in Mechanical & Material Engineering (MTME-2023). Digital Manufacturing Technology (DMT) 3 (2), 115-122 (2023). https://doi.org/10.37256/dmt.3220233097
- AU Zaman, A Khan, F Zaman, MM Khan, U Farooq, T Shehbaz and MRA Karim*. Development and Characterization of Boron-Nitride Reinforced Nickel Matrix Composites. 1st International Conference on Modern Technologies in Mechanical & Material Engineering (MTME-2023). MATEC Web of Conferences 381, 02009 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/202338102009
- MRA Karim* Synthesis and evaluation of GNPs/Ni-CO-MOF composites as potential electrode material for energy storage applications. An invited talk in “International School on Physics & Allied Disciplines (ISPAD-2022)” NCP Islamabad 14-18 March 2022.
- MRA Karim* Hydroxyapatite/GNPs/MgO composites with improved properties for temporary prosthesis implants. An invited talk in 2nd International Conference on Advanced Materials and Emerging Technologies |2ndICAMET-2021|, organized by the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (MME), University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore
- MRA Karim*, A Ahmad, EU Haq, et al. Improving the Corrosion Resistance of API X56 and API X70 Pipeline Steels by Hot Dip Aluminization. 16th International Symposium on Advanced Materials (ISAM-2019), 21-25 October 2019, National Centre for Physics, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- D Tahir, MRA Karim, et al. Effect of PVA Treatment of Bamboo Fibres on Mechanical Properties of Bamboo Epoxy Composites. 16th International Symposium on Advanced Materials (ISAM-2019), 21-25 October 2019, National Centre for Physics, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- W Shehzad, D Tahir, MRA Karim, et al. Effect of Stearic Acid Modification on Mechanical and Pysical Properties of Expoxy Composite Coatings. 16th International Symposium on Advanced Materials (ISAM-2019), 21-25 October 2019, National Centre for Physics, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- MU Iqbal, A Hussain, MRA Karim, et al. Surface Modification of Sputtered Carbon Supercapacitor Electrode by Hydrogen Annealing. 16th International Symposium on Advanced Materials (ISAM-2019), 21-25 October 2019, National Centre for Physics, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- MRA Karim*, Saad Naeem, Hamza Jamil. “Electrodeposition and characterization of copper-graphene nanoplatelets composite coatings”. International Symposium on Advances in Metallurgy and Materials, 16-18 October 2018, held at Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS), Islamabad Pakistan.
- MRA Karim*, MB Ahmed, et al. Investigation of various nano structural morphologies of zinc oxide (ZnO) for their applications in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs). 15th International Symposium on Advanced Materials (ISAM-2017), 16-20 October 2017, National Centre for Physics, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- MR Abdul Karim*. Corrosion Inhibitors. An invited talk in Workshop on Corrosion and its Prevention, organized by International Symposium on Advance Materials (ISAM) held at NINVAST, Quaid e Azam University Islamabad 28-30 November 2016.
- MR Abdul Karim*, M Pavese, D Ugues, Azhar Hussain, et al. Study of Micro hardness, Roughness, Wear and Corrosion Behavior of Ni/CNT and Ni/GNP Composite Coatings produced by Electrodeposition. 5th World Tribology Congress, Torino-Italy, ISBN 978-88-90818509 (2013).
- A Hussain, M Pavese, L Settineri, P. Fino, S. Biamino, C.F. Badini, M.R. Abdul Karim, and E. Padovano. Aluminosilicates Assisted Pressureless Sintering of Sialon Ceramics. International Conference on Chemical, Agricultural and Medical Sciences (CAMS-2013) Dec. 29-30, 2013 Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), p. 13-17. ISBN 978-93-82242-56-7(2013) http://iicbe.org/upload/5270C1213083.pdf
- Development and high temperature properties evaluation of boron nitride (BN) based tough composites for applications in machining and defence industry. Funded by HEC-Pakistan under NRPU program. In progress (2019-2022)
- Natural Fiber reinforced polymer matrix composites. Funded by Pakistan Science Foundation (PSF). In progress (2018-2019)
- Graphene-metal nanocomposites for energy storage devices (batteries). Funded by HEC-Pakistan. Completed
Student Projects Supervised
- Development of zinc oxide (ZnO) nano-structures based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC)
- Production and characterization of kevlar/metal composites
- MM551- Corrosion Monitoring and Prevention
- MM567-Composite Materials
- MM435- Corrosion Degradation and Protection
- MM365- Polymers and Composites
- MM221- Materials Evaluation Techniques and Instrumentation
- MM102- Introduction to Engineering Materials
- MM345L- Materials Lab-V
- MM242L- Materials Lab II
- February 2008 to October 2009
Assistant Manager Galvanizing Plants (STR Division), Pakistan Engineering Company (PECO) Kot-lakhpat Works Lahore, Pakistan.
Honors and Awards
- HEC Approved PhD Supervisor
- HEC Pakistan scholarship award for PhD studies abroad
- Member Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) . Membership ID: metal/2026